Are you and your car ready for winter driving? Here are 3 tips to keep you safe on the road. The prospect of slippery roads and car breakdowns in the cold weather make many drivers nervous. Taking precautions can help avoid accidents that drive up your car insurance rates.
- Are your personal and commercial vehicles winter-ready? Car breakdowns are especially treacherous in winter as you may be out in the cold for a prolonged period of time. Ensuring your personal and business vehicles are in good condition helps reduce the risk of this happening to you, family members or employees. The Mississippi Department of Transportation offers a handy checklist to help keep your vehicles running smoothly during winter.
- Get your car battery, charging system and brakes checked by your mechanic or car dealership.
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system.
- Change your oil and oil filter at the recommended intervals.
- Ensure the heater, defroster and windshield wipers work properly.
- Make sure the exhaust system has no leaks; carbon monoxide can accumulate quickly in closed vehicles.
- Check the tire pressure every week.
- Make sure your inside lights are working and your headlights are aimed properly.
In the event you have car trouble, pull over to a safe area and stay in your vehicle till help arrives. Use emergency flares or reflectors to make your vehicle visible. If you do not have any, turn your hazard lights on. Always check that your cellphone is properly charged before you get on the road, so that you can call for help.
- Practice safe driving: If you hit someone because of icy roads, you will likely be considered at fault, despite the road conditions. Here are some important safe driving tips that you should practice throughout the year, not just in winter. A good driving record contributes to lower car insurance rates.
- Ensure all occupants of the vehicle buckle up.
- Allow more space between your vehicle and the one in front of you, especially in winter.
- Brake early and gently to avoid skidding; do not slam on the brakes.
- Keep your headlights on to be more visible to other motorists.
- Avoid using cruise control on icy roads.
- Do not talk or text on a cell phone while driving.
- Be alert and watch out for other drivers on the road.
- Keep a winter survival kit in your vehicle: Every vehicle should have an emergency kit that includes jumper cables, emergency flares or reflectors, a flashlight with extra batteries and a first aid box. However, here are important items to add to your survival kit for the winter.
- Blankets or a sleeping bag
- A pair of winter socks
- Gloves and a hat
- Windshield de-icer
- Cell phone charger
- Necessary medication
Get Quotes for Your Car Insurance in Jackson, Mississippi Today
Do you feel that your car insurance rates are too high? The experienced brokers at The Nowell Agency can help you identify and purchase more affordable auto coverage. As an established insurance brokerage that works with a wide range of providers, we do the comparison shopping for competitive quotes so you don’t have to. You can rely on us to provide the car insurance coverage you need at the best possible rates in Jackson, Mississippi.
Request a quote for car insurance in Jackson, Mississippi or call a location near you to schedule a meeting with a knowledgeable and experienced broker at The Nowell