Facts about Mississippi Workers’ Comp for Employers
In most states in the U.S. employers are required to purchase workers’ comp insurance for their employees to protect them from claims that result from a worker’s injury.
Failure to have workers’ compensation insurance coverage may result in:
- Criminal prosecution
- Personal liability – the very thing that the workers’ comp programs are designed to protect you from!
- Employee lawsuits
In addition to having workers’ compensation coverage, most employers do the following:
- Post a notice of compliance with the workers’ comp laws where employees can see it
- Provide immediate emergency medical treatment for employees who sustain an injury on the job
When an injury on the job occurs, the employer must typically do the following:
- Complete a report of the injury and mail it to the local Mississippi workers’ comp office (this is an important step and part of the required process).
- Make a written report of any accident that results in a personal injury that requires medical treatment beyond simple first aid.
- Comply with all requests for further information regarding injured workers by the local workers’ compensation board and/or the insurance company. These may include statements regarding the employee’s earnings as well as any other reports to help determine the employee’s work status following the injury.
Call 601.992.4444 or request information about Mississippi worker’s comp online.
Why Purchase Third-party Mississippi Worker’s Comp for Your Business?
Mississippi businesses can purchase their worker’s compensation insurance from the state government or from a third-party, independent insurance agency like Nowell.
Here’s why you’ll want to buy from us:
- Competitive pricing – often the coverage you get from a third-party insurance agency like Nowell results in better pricing for your coverage because we work with a number of providers to select the right plan for you.
- Efficient handling – instead of trying to work through the more complicated government-based programs and enduring their lag time and inefficiencies, you’ll have access to an agency that can handle your questions, claims, and programs efficiently.
- Greater access to plans – instead of providing one plan, we’ve got access to many and that means you have a competitive set of plans from which to choose. Plus, we’ll help you figure out which is the best for your needs so you’re not going it alone.
Call our team of insurance pros at 601.992.4444 to discuss your needs and determine the options for Mississippi workers’ comp insurance available to you.