Why Do You Need Boat Insurance?
Although personal boat insurance is not mandatory in Mississippi and Alabama, it is still a vital part of being a responsible boat owner. A personal boat insurance policy:
- Protects and helps to maintain the value of your boat. Most boat owners see their watercraft as an investment. The best way to protect your investment is through insurance
- You have no control over what other boaters do on the water. Some boaters may not be as cautious as others, which puts other boaters in harm’s way. Insurance provides you with protection in the event you have a collision or your boat sustains damage due to another
- Boat repair costs are expensive. Unlike a motor vehicle that may drive “OK” after an accident, boats must be properly repaired to be declared seaworthy
- Coverage against those “little accidents” in life. Whether it’s your 16 year-old backing out the boat, but then hitting the pier or your boat sustains damage after a wicked storm, insurance coverage provides you with peace of mind
Types of Boat Insurance Coverage
Boat insurance coverage is for a watercraft generally for boats small to medium in length. Larger vessels in the yacht class warrant a different type of insurance. Jet skis, wave runners and other personal watercraft vessel owners should also seek a unique policy designed for personal watercrafts.
- Broad coverage: protection for your boat, trailer and property from damage due to fire, theft, collision from an underwater object, glass damage, storm damage and even due to an auto accident while you are transporting your watercraft
- Towing and roadside assistance: whether on land or water, towing assistance to get you to the nearest mechanic
- Bodily injury: liability and medical coverage in the event one of your passengers or another boater or swimmer are injured due to your vessel
- Property damage: coverage in case your vessel damages another boat or property
Contact the Nowell Agency for more information about personal boat insurance or call us at 601-992-4444 today.