Nowell Agency, Inc.
> What's New
> Pet Health Insurance
Pet Health Insurance
Protecting Your Pet with the Right Coverage – Is It Worth the Cost?
Checkups can keep your furry family friend healthy for years to come. However, there are those unfortunate times when an accident happens, such as if your dog is hit by a car or if your cat ingests a poisonous houseplant. Sometimes they become gravely ill with diabetes or cancer.
According to the American Pet Products Association, almost $70 billion will be spent on pets in the U.S. during 2017. This is up nearly $3 billion from 2016. Next to food, the second largest expenditure is vet care.
With state-of-the-art imaging technology used to diagnose problems, many families do not have the extra money available for these procedures. For instance, hip dysplasia can average $4,000 to $6,000 to treat. Unfortunately, if the cost of care is too high, some owners may have to resort to economic euthanasia, which is saying “goodbye” to a family friend because medical care is not affordable.
When tragedy strikes, it helps to have a backup plan. For a lot of pet owners, affordable insurance is the answer. It helps cover the costs of veterinary care. Some policies may even include reimbursement for preventative measures like heartworm testing, vaccinations, and spay or neutering.
Having adequate coverage is a tipping of the scales for many pet owners. Paying a small premium each month is worth the peace of mind of knowing if long-term illness or tragedy strikes, they can get the best care possible without breaking their budget.
In general, the policy for your loved animal will include the following:
- Deductibles that are paid before the carrier picks up the rest of the cost. The higher the deductible, the less your monthly premium will be.
- Co-pays that split the cost of service between you and the provider after the deductible has been met.
- Maximum payout options to cap what is reimbursed. You want enough to cover anything that may happen.
- Premiums payable either monthly or annually to pay for the policy. The price you pay will be contingent on various factors like where you live, your animal’s age, the co-pay and deductible you choose, your pet’s breed, and the amount of coverage you want.
- Waiting periods before coverage takes effect.
- Pre-existing conditions which are not generally covered.
Protect Your Furry Family Member with Pet Insurance
For more than 30 years, The Nowell Agency has worked alongside our clients to find them the coverage they need for their pets, homes, auto, business, and health. Our professional brokers work with a variety of established names in the industry to find the right coverage for you and your pet’s needs. Trust us to help you protect your dog, cat, bird, fish, or other domesticated animal friend.
Call one of our offices near you to schedule a meeting with a knowledgeable and experienced broker at The Nowell Agency. If you prefer, you can also request a quote online.