Nowell Agency, Inc.
> Insurance News
> Protect Your Company from Ageism Claims
Protect Your Company from Ageism Claims
An unfortunate reality in today’s workforce is stereotypes. As a responsible business owner, you realize the importance of treating each one of your team members fairly. For example, you would not give special treatment to someone because of their gender or race. Yet, there is another stereotype that is very prevalent. It’s age discrimination or ageism.
Understanding ageism will empower you to make your workplace culture one that fosters mutual respect and growth. The experienced brokers at the Nowell Agency assist owners like you with the best small business insurance to meet your needs. Maintain a positive work environment and protect your company from ageism claims with our help.
Why Ageism Is a Problem
The unfavorable treatment of older employees causes problems for employers for a variety of reasons, including:
- It keeps the team from taking advantage of experience and knowledge. Older workers understand how things work, especially if they have been with a company for decades. They offer insight that may be missed by less experienced employees.
- Age is considered a protected class. If an older employee feels like they are being harassed because of their age, they can file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- More and more workers plan on working after the age of 65. The trend to continue working even at retirement age is increasing. You will have more and more seniors remaining in the workforce.
What You Can Do to Stop Ageism in Your Company
You can take steps to prevent age discrimination in your business. Here are a few suggestions:
- Start by educating your staff. Educate your team about ageism, what it is, and how they can recognize it. It is essential to point out that many of us have an unconscious bias against older employees.
- Take reports and rumors seriously. You can take periodic employee surveys to see if any of your staff feel discriminated against. Be sure that the survey is conducted anonymously.
- Respond to any discrimination claim immediately. You can mitigate the impact of a claim when you investigate it quickly and thoroughly. Also, having the appropriate level of liability insurance helps to reduce the financial impact on your company.
Keep Your Team Working Well Together – Secure the Right Insurance for Your Business
Avoid letting ageism keep your company from enjoying the benefits of having older workers on your staff. Many times, this type of discrimination goes unreported because of fear of causing a hostile environment. This will impede any kind of workplace culture. When you support your team and encourage a positive, accepting atmosphere, your enterprise will grow.
The team at the Nowell Agency will work with you to protect all your assets, including fallout from an employment practices claim. We can assess your current coverage and develop a tailored small business insurance plan to fill any gaps. Let us partner with you to safeguard your company today.
Call one of our offices near you to schedule a meeting with a knowledgeable and experienced broker at The Nowell Agency about small business insurance in Florida. Request a quote online.