Nowell Agency, Inc.
> Insurance News
> Does Your Business Insurance in Mississippi Cover the Risks of Working Remotely
Does Your Business Insurance in Mississippi Cover the Risks of Working Remotely
Guidance to Keep You Protected
Working from home used to be a privilege. The COVID-19 pandemic changed everything, and now remote working is a necessity. From communicating via online meeting software to managing inventory, order fulfillment, handling returns, and customer service issues, there are so many aspects to take care of. It’s no longer a luxury to work from home; on the contrary, many business owners are losing sleep over a variety of issues. Will customers receive the care they are used to? Will your team be able to maintain open communication lines when they can’t head down the hallway to a co-worker’s office? Is your company covered if something goes wrong?
Shore up your enterprise by reviewing your Mississippi business insurance policies with an experienced broker at the Nowell Agency. We will assess and discuss your current coverage and develop a tailored plan that fills in any existing gaps. We are here to support you and your organization throughout the pandemic and beyond.
3 Risks Your Employees Face When Working from Home
This is a whole new world, and you need to be aware of the risks that you and your remote team face. Here are three common ones:
- Illness or Injury: Most states require companies to carry worker’s compensation insurance to protect employees if they become ill or suffer an injury while at work. It helps with lost wages and medical bills. Also, it protects you if an injured employee sues your business. In general, worker’s compensation covers telecommuters. Therefore, an employee can be injured at home and be able to file a claim. They will have to prove that the accident occurred during regular business hours and while performing their work duties. If you have contractors working remotely, this protection will likely not extend to them.
- Cyberattack or Data Breach: The coronavirus has proved that cyber thugs will take advantage of every situation, even a deadly pandemic. The threat of a cyberattack and data breach increases exponentially when employees work from home. Besides having cyber-insurance, you must take steps to mitigate the risks involved, including:
- Requiring your team to use an encrypted virtual private network (VPN)
- Update antivirus and firewall software on their computers
- Utilize strong passwords and request they be changed frequently
- Lock any computers and phones when walking away from the devices
- Learn how to identify and avoid scams including phishing attempts
- Lack of commercial property coverage: Business insurance covering your commercial property may or may not cover company property away from your office. Its purpose is for onsite protection, so you will want to talk with your insurance broker to see if it covers business property used off-site by your remote team.
Review Your Mississippi Business Insurance Policies with The Nowell Agency
Safeguard your team regardless of whether they happen to be onsite or working from home. The Nowell Agency brokers help companies like yours to obtain the proper business insurance coverage so you can continue doing your job and servicing your clients with confidence. Utilize our 30 years of experience to protect your organization from the effects of liability claims, theft, cyberattacks, and much more. Give us a call today!
Call one of our offices near you to schedule a meeting with a knowledgeable and experienced broker at The Nowell Agency about obtaining business insurance in Mississippi. Request a quote online.